4.16.2009

A Garden For Graham....(And me!)

We've started feeding Graham rice cereal! He ate that for a month, and then we started him on veggies...so fun! His first veggie was a sweet potato, and we just tried peas for the first time this evening. We're making his food from fresh veggies (which I must say is ridiculously cheap and super fun!). I highly recommend the BabyCook from Williams Sonoma. It's not very budget friendly, so I asked for it for my birthday. I tell you, it makes food-cookin' for baby super easy. Steams and purees all in one. And, we're also trying our hand at a garden this year (veggie) for the first time. I always have lots of fresh herbs but have never taken the time to grow vegetables. My brother and his wife, my grandmother, and my aunt are all avid gardeners. They have amazing crops every year. From brussel sprouts to nectarines, to fresh tomatoes. YUM! I thought it would be fun to grow our own food for Graham. So, Kyle built me a "rooftop-style" garden for the driveway - where we have the most sun. It's done, and I've planted my seeds. Since I've never done this before, I figured I would try both seeds and some plants to see what works well this year. I bought $30 worth of seeds from Park Seed (Highly recommend). If all of my little sprouts (below) actually take, we'll have about 8 plants of each of the following: 4 kinds of tomatoes, butternut squash, hybrid squash, frisco squash, sweet peppers (red, orange, yellow, white, and purple), sweet peas, red leaf lettuce, and green leaf lettuce. I've also planted the following herbs: dill, basil (lots!), parsley (the caterpillars LOVE this!), arugula (great on sandwiches), chives, cilantro, mint (this comes back for me every year - MUST be planted in a pot unless you want mint from here to Timbuktu!). My sunroom has become a greenhouse until the seedlings are ready to go in the ground - this weekend. I'm so excited! And, I'm really excited for Graham to help me with this for summers to come. Cool project for us - I'm hoping! Some pictures are below...

We planted these about a week and a half ago - the butternut squash is about 6 inches high. We can watch it grow! It really grows lickety-split!


Tomato plants on my side table

My garden - the gate is so my ladies (Kona and Molly) don't help themselves...

Barrels for my tomato plants - to be planted this weekend

My peas will sprout later this summer, my lettuce is already going strong

Herbs are growing like mad!

4 comments:

beckley said...

nice!
i need to get my pics up!

Christy said...

oh my GOSH girl!!!! amazing, beautiful...wow...will you do a gardening lecture when I come home???!!! :)

isn't the babycook a lifesaver??!! :)

LOVE YOU!

Mandy said...

I have to say - I've read a lot of what Robyn has posted, my aunt gave me a companion-planting guide, Ammi and my brother have given me great advice. Don't be impressed, yet. I've never eaten anything out of the garden! That babycook is the most INCREDIBLE thing!!!! Thanks for introducing me to it!! I also bought the book you recommend - can't WAIT to start mixing stuff for Graham! It's amazing how far one sweet potato will go!

beckley said...

THANKS! wow! came back--was going to say, you can plant nastugium (edible flowers) for color, and/or marigolds, which keep the bugs/pests away. I'm soon to post a blog on making ladybug houses that keep the aphids away from your squash.

oh, and that crazy mint- also makes nice little gifts for hosts or neighbors for dinners or occasions--just pot up a little bit (or a tri cut of three mints) into a nice little pot and gift--cheap, pretty and people LOVE it :) That's how I keep mine from getting too crazy!

much love- can't wait to watch it grow!

My zinnias just popped up minutes ago (in my dining room :) They are my other summer gift trick---LOVE my zinnias!!! wish you were closer so i could bring you a bundle :)