10.13.2009

Butterflies!

My grandmother's birthday was September 11, and when I was driving up to visit her a few weeks prior I came up with a cool idea for her birthday. Treat her to lunch and the special butterfly exhibit at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens with Graham! So off we went....it was truly fabulous. The butterflies were enclosed in a large tropical-feeling "room". (HUGE room) The majority of them were allowed to fly around freely. Definitely a cool exhibit for adults. However Graham was COMPLETELY entranced. And, to top it off a butterfly landed on his shoulder near the end of our visit. Too cool. After the butterfly exhibit, we walked the rest of the gardens which are breathtakingly beautiful. And, we ended up at the kids' section. They have the sprinklers that shoot up from the ground just like the Norfolk Botanical Gardens does. Graham had never experienced that before, so I had to strip him down to his diaper. He LOVED it! Squeeled and yelled the entire time while he was crawling through the sprinklers. And, of course I got soaking wet, too. It was a very cool "first" with him. (Once I get my pictures organized, I'll post some from our water adventure.)


One of the coolest varieties I've ever seen of one of my favorite flowers - clematis.

At the entrance to the butterfly exhibit. Don't you just love the butterfly chair?






Can you see the mist? The room had a mist spraying over it about every 10 minutes. (Much needed because it was 85-90 degrees.)


The coolest way to end our butterfly visit....

1 comment:

Christy said...

wow!!! what a cool exhibit!!

but mostly I can't stop looking at Graham!! He looks like such a little BOY!! He and Kallen are going to LOVE each other the next time they get to play---they really look like they're the same age!

And I LOVE the butterfly chair...and getting to see your mom and Ammi/Ami??!!!!

xoxoxo!!