8.20.2015

Day 10 - Shamian Island


Breakfast at the hotel - great buffet but I’m tired of fried rice for breakfast.  We sat next to another dad with his adopted son.  Struck up a conversation.  His wife has worked for Navigators for years and has done 4 mission trips to China.  (She was sick in bed while he was at breakfast).  It’s amazing how quickly we strike up conversations with each other.  Every American with an Asian baby greets each other.  Without hesitation.  And has a greeting sort of conversation like we know each other.  Because we do to a certain extent.  Even without knowing their names. 

So close.  We have our visa appointments tomorrow.  Shaiyan told us that the computer system at the US Consulate is somewhat unreliable.  While our time there should be just about 2 hours tomorrow morning, it could possibly take double that if the computer system crashes.  I hope this doesn’t delay us leaving China.  I’m ready.  I’ve been ready.  

Today we went to Shamian Island.  It’s a cute, quaint little place with good shopping.  It reminds me of the deep south with all the weeping willows and spanish moss.  It is just beautiful here.  Quiet.  Peaceful and so many less people.  There is a famous hotel here called The White Swan hotel.  (It was recently renovated and is very nice.  We spent some time in the lobby in between shopping trips when the heat just got to be too much for us.)  It used to be that the US Consulate and the travel medical clinic were across the street from The White Swan Hotel so every family adopting from China stayed at the hotel and finalized visas here.  The US Consulate is no longer here, so less adoptive families stay here now.  We got some great shopping done here. Finished a lot of Christmas shopping - didn’t expect to find so much!  I got a coach bag - it’s totally legit.  Cost me only $30.  :)  

It is so hot.  I can’t emphasize that enough.  Crazy hot.  And this is the hottest time of year here.  We are getting the full experience.  Luckily Kyle is still able to make me laugh.  He is hysterically funny this trip - more than usual.  Shopping in one store I was looking at the Christmas ornaments - they are so pretty.  And one of the workers in the shop was hovering and explaining that they were Christmas ornaments.  (I know)  When she said “these are Christmas ornaments”  Kyle told her “too bad we are Jewish”.  I’m sure she didn’t have a clue what Kyle was saying.  And we were done shopping.  Found some super cute things for Claire - Burberry dresses (I’m sure they are knockoffs).  And we found some great gifts for family.  

We stopped for lunch at Lucy’s - a mostly western food restaurant.  It was decent.  Claire likes grilled cheese!  Actually, there really isn’t much that Claire won’t eat. 

I’m so grateful for the bonding time I’ve had with her since I decided to essentially carry her everywhere here.  But wow - it’s hot.  Shaiyan called her my “furnace”.  Yes.  We are both dripping with sweat after she wakes from her nap on me.  

This morning after breakfast we were gathering with our group in the hotel lobby to get on the bus to go to Shamian Island.  We struck up a conversation with another couple who is clearly with another large group of adoptive families that just arrived at the hotel.  I thought the girl looked familiar.  Come to find out they are from DC, and I asked her if she happened to go to JMU.  Yes.  Her name is Sherry, and I think she was a voice major with my college roommate, Laurie.  What a crazy small world!  She and her husband are adopting two children on this trip.  

One random observation that I forget is weird - there is a slot to put your key in near the door of every hotel room.  If your key is in the slot, you can turn the lights on in the room.  If your key is not in the slot no lights in the room will work.  We have quite a few keys so we aren’t ever in the dark.  Just keep one in that slot all the time.

Oh - and the use of the English language here constantly has us laughing.  Hysterically until our sides hurt.  (Not that we have room to joke - I don’t even have a simple grasp on the Chinese language.)  Most recent funny thing - at the lunch on the beverage menu - the cocktail “sex on the beach” - here it is “safe sex on the beach”.  

Had dinner at the hotel this evening.  And we are definitely ready to go home.  One of the other girls here said this is like Chinese Groundhog Day.  Yes it is.  And we want it to end! 

(One other thing I forgot to mention - we were told to pack light and to bring laundry detergent so we could do our laundry in the sink if we needed to.  So Kyle has been doing Claire’s laundry in the sink and leaving her clothes and pajamas to dry all around the room.  I’m ready to get back home to so many things.  Definitely a real washer and dryer. )

Oh - and have I mentioned that the Chinese people are just downright rude?  People shoving you out of the way, etc.  I think I mentioned it when we went to the acrobatic show.  We are officially no longer “after you” people.  Not rude but certainly not deferential anymore.

Tomorrow is visa day.  Let’s hope the US Consulate is “working” tomorrow.

































No comments: